Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Crack

I have never been much in the kitchen and I have never claimed to be.. to be honest- I am just lazy! The cooking is fun but the cleaning up STINKS. So unless I get a whim I spend very limited amounts of time in the kitchen. There has been days upon end that I never even enter the kitchen. *Gasp* I know, right?

But I stumbled upon a recipe the other day...that caught my eye and I immediately had to make it. I called up some friends and I told them I was going to make something..and they all began to worry about me.. I quickly calmed their fears.. after I told them how easy it was to make..

So even though several other bloggers have made this and passed it along.. I thought that I would too... I hope you try it. It is so very yummy and delicious.

CHRISTMAS CRACK

1 sleeve saltine crackers

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup real butter

2 cups chocolate chips

¾ cup chopped pecans (optional)



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a 10" x 15" with foil (the kind of sheet that has raised edges!). Spray with Pam, or grease VERY lightly with butter. Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines. Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible.Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. When you remove it, the caramel mixture will be molten and boiling; allow to cool about 3 min, or until you can see the crackers distinctly, which will have shifted while baking. Push them back into order with a fork or knife.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Once melted spread chocolate evenly. If desired, sprinkle on pecans and press lightly into the chocolate. Let cool a bit and then transfer to fridge to harden.

Once hard, break the candy into small pieces and place in an air tight container.

And share it.. because if you don't....

4 comments:

Becky K. said...

Oh my word, you are too bad!

But...it looks really good!

Becky

Rebecca Jo said...

SOOOOO glad to see you back... that's the best Christmas gift right there!!

And did you take a picture of my rear end? I think its heading that direction with Christmas yumminess!

katie + bret said...

A) Thanks for coming by my blog! I love meeting new friendly faces.

B) Oh.My.Gosh. Christmas Crack is right!! I am writing that recipe down now!!

Kelly Loy Gilbert said...

I've had that too! And the first time I heard about it (it was actually described to me as "Saltine candy," which ... sick) I was VERY skeptical. But, yeah, it was good! Thanks for the recipe--I was always curious how it was made.